Classification of hotels is the assignment of a certain rank to them, depending on the availability of certain facilities for guests. As a rule, this system makes it possible to have an impression of the status of the hotel by tourists before arrival and form expectations.
Hotel star classification is the most popular way to categorize hotels. However, it also has its own specifics. Since there is still no single classification of hotels in the world, each country specifies its own requirements for the hotel category.
However, there were attempts to create a common system. In 2009 the Hotelstars Union was created. This agreement enhances the reputation and quality of the hotel industry by ensuring transparency and security for guests and thereby encouraging hotel marketing.
In this article, we will analyze the system of assigning stars to Ukrainian hotels according to the National Standard of Ukraine and compare its requirements with the rules of the Hotelstars Union system.
1* hotels in Ukraine offer a low level of comfort. As a rule, these hotels are located in unremarkable places. Objects of this category are often small and have no more than 10 rooms. Meals in such hotels are not provided, and bathrooms are common. However, objects must have:
- Parking spots (at least 10% of the number of rooms);
- Separate entrances for hotel guests and employees;
- Elevator (in three-story or more hotels);
- Reception area of at least 10 m2 (with up to 50 rooms). Additional area of 0.2 m2 for each room after 50;
- 60% of single and double rooms;
- Carpet in the room or bedside mats;
- The number of rooms consists of single rooms with an area of 8 m2, double rooms – 10 m2, triple rooms – 14 m2, quadruple rooms-16 m2;
- Bed linen;
- Bathroom (not less than a quarter of the number of rooms and on all floors of the hotel);
- Availability of a wardrobe for storing outerwear items;
- The rug in the bathroom;
- Bedside table near each bed;
- Availability of chairs or armchairs (from two per room);
- TV as needed by the guest;
- Dining table.
Hotelstars UnionThe Hotelstars Union system requires 1* hotels to:
- have a shower or bath and toilet in every room;
- daily room cleaning;
- TV in all rooms;
- availability of a table and chair;
- have soap or shower gel;
- availability of bath towels;
- presence of the reception Desk;
- public phone number for guests;
- selection of drinks;
- the possibility of the deposit.
(hotel "lime", Kyiv)
The 2* hotels are ones for a tourist class. Often tourists who travel on inexpensive sightseeing routes. In accordance with European and American standards, the room of a hotel should have a bathroom and a TV. Sometimes the hotel restaurant is located in the lobby of one of the floors and offers a continental breakfast. In Ukraine, in addition to the above points, the hotel must also have:
- catering establishments (for hotels with 50 rooms or more);
- parking near the hotel or no more than 400 meters away;
- reception area of at least 20 m2 (with up to 50 rooms). Additional area of 0.3 m2 for each next number after 50;
- rooms with multiple rooms or the possibility of combining single rooms if necessary;
- availability of bathrooms in 50% of the room quantity;
- one-and two-room apartments in more than half of the Fund;
- capacity of the single rooms measuring 9 m2, double room – 12 m2, triple room – 16 m2, four – 18 m2.
Hotelstars Union requirements for such hotels:
- breakfast buffet;
- availability of a reading lamp next to the bed;
- internet access in the room or in the public area;
- ability to pay for services by card;
- availability of shower gel in the bathroom;
- linen shelves in the room;
- offer of hygiene products (for example, a toothbrush, toothpaste, shaving kit).
(hotel "Alexandria", Kyiv)
3* hotel can be attributed to a higher category and the most common. Here we are already talking about the amenities in the room, the availability of soap, shampoo and a hair dryer. Some of these hotels have a mini-bar and air conditioning. In addition to all of the above, in Ukraine, it must necessarily have:
- parking spaces or garage (20% of the number of rooms);
- separate staff entrance;
- a bar or restaurant on the territory where the number of seats is not less than 75% of the hotel's room availability.
- bathroom in all rooms;
- the number of rooms consists of single rooms with an area of 10 m2 and double rooms-14 m2 (excluding bathrooms, corridor, balcony);
- safe for guests in the reception area;
- reception with a minimum area of 20 m2 (with a number of rooms up to 50 rooms). Additional area of 0.5 m2 for each next room after 50;
- beauty Salon;
- TV and telephone in all rooms.
Hotelstars Union standards for 3* hotels:
- the reception must be open for 14 hours and available by phone around the clock. Bilingual staff should work there;
- lounge near the reception, Luggage delivery to the room on request;
- the presence of a hair dryer, cleaning cloths;
- delivery service, Breakfast in the room;
- mirror and suitcase shelf in the room;
- phone number in the room;
- sewing kit, shoe polish, laundry and ironing services at the hotel;
- extra pillows and blankets are available on request;
- availability of a complaint management system.
(Tourist hotel, Kyiv)
4* hotels are considered hotels with a high level of service. Hotels of this class are aimed at people with average incomes. They provide a good location: in the Central location of the city or on the first line of the beach. In addition to the above list, in Ukraine they must have:
- reception area of at least 30 m2 (with up to 50 rooms). Additional area of 0.8 m2 for each next number after 50;
- separate room for staff;
- at least one elevator for every 60 rooms;
- sauna services;
- cosmetic procedures;
- a catering establishment designed for several halls;
- double rooms with an area of 15 m2, single rooms-12 m2 (excluding bathroom, corridor, balcony);
- private bathroom;
- carpet flooring in the rooms;
- two armchairs or a sofa in the rooms;
- mini-bar, kettle, glasses;
- hair dryer in the room;
- coffee table;
- a desk and chair.
Hotelstars Union requirements for this type of hotel:
- the reception must be open for 16 hours and available by phone around the clock.
- lobby with seating areas and bar;
- breakfast buffet or a la carte with room service;
- the presence of a soft chair or sofa with a table;
- mini-bar or 16-hour beverage delivery service.
- bathrobes and slippers on request;
- cosmetic products in the room (for example, shower cap, nail file, cotton pads), mirrors, heating in the bathroom.
(Wall Street Hotel, Odessa)
5* hotels provide a wide range of services. Five-star hotels that match the category resemble a small town with all the necessary infrastructure. In Ukraine these facilities should have:
- secure parking or garage with the main types of car maintenance (at least 25% of the number of rooms);
- separate bar in the reception area;
- reception area of at least 50 m2 (with up to 50 rooms). Additional area of 1 m2 for each next room after 50;
- swimming pool;
- first aid kit and nurse on duty;
- double rooms with an area of at least 16 m2, single rooms-from 14 m2 (excluding the area of the bathroom, corridor, balcony);
- underfloor heating in the bathroom;
- full sound insulation of walls, doors, windows in rooms;
- mini-safe in all rooms.
Hotelstars Union requirements for such hotels:
- the front desk must be open 24 hours, multilingual staff;
- parking services;
- concierge services;
- spacious hall in the reception area for several seats and distribution of drinks;
- greeting a guest with flowers or a gift in the room;
- personal hygiene products in bottles;
- PC in the room on request;
- safe in the room;
- Ironing service (return within 1 hour), shoe cleaning;
- mini-bar in the room, as well as 24-hour room service;
- evening bed preparation for bedtime;
- non-disclosure of personal information about guests.
(hotel NEMO Resort Hotel & SPA, Odessa)
Due to the fact that there is no single classification of hotels, the above rules are not relevant everywhere. For example, American three-star hotels are close to four-star hotels in Europe. And in three-star hotels in Asia the presence of a mini-bar, TV and refrigerator in the room is not mandatory. It is not a pattern that works here, but the demand situation. Therefore, often the cost of a room in hotels of different categories may coincide, or Vice versa - prices may differ even in hotels of the same class.
It‘s fair to say that all hotels are subject to verification, which confirms or refutes the fact that the requirements for their classification are met. Today, this issue is particularly acute, since after the adoption of the Law of Ukraine "on state regulation of the organization and conduct of gambling", this process is mandatory.
As a rule, the classification procedure takes place in several stages and as a result, the hotel receives an act that specifies which category it can be assigned to. After that, the documentation is reviewed by an accredited commission, which then issues a certificate with the hotel category. This process is quite time-consuming, so it is better to contact specialists who will guarantee you a professional approach to the certification of your hotel.
Subscribe to our blog to find out the most interesting facts about the hotel market in Ukraine.